What is an Academic Assessment?
- An academic assessment is a detailed appraisal of determining your child’s knowledge, progress and understanding with respect to a particular syllabus or exam.
- Depending on your child’s age, an academic assessment will comprise of comprehension exercises, creative writing tasks, Maths questions as well as verbal and non verbal reasoning questions.
- The papers are then marked by Cyrus Afkhami, Founder of My Tutor Club, and a detailed feedback report covering key performance statistics, areas of weakness and strength, areas for development and most importantly a suggested strategy for going forward will be sent to parents by email within 3 days. This will be accompanied by a telephone discussion outlining “next steps.”
Why you should consider an academic assessment
- Based on the results of the educational assessment, we are able to benchmark your child’s performance vis-à-vis students of the same level and most importantly other students applying for the same schools.
- The results of the academic assessment will highlight key areas of weakness and development. This will allow us to focus any subsequent tuition on these areas thereby ensuring the tuition is effective, valuable and produces tangible progress.
- The results of the assessment can also help parents when deciding which school is best for their child.
Academic Assessment Details
Assessments take place Saturdays and Sundays mornings when your child will be fresh, at our Central London office. 4 St James’s Square, SW1Y 4JU. View map
The timings vary slightly week to week and depending on the students age, but in general the timetable is as follows:
- 09:30-10:45 English (comprehension and creative writing)
- 10:45 – 11:00 Break
- 11:00 – 12:00 Maths
- 12:00 – 12:15 Break
- 12:15 – 1:00 Reasoning
N.B. This timetable varies slightly for 7+ and 8+ assessments which are a bit shorter
Tracy, My Tutor Club’s Client Relations Manager, will meet you and your child and will take your child to the assessment room. She will also bring them back to the front entrance once the assessment is finished.
Fresh fruit, water and juice will be provided during the breaks.
Pencils and paper will be provided but please bring a ruler, rubber, protractor, compass and calculator.
Detailed feedback reports will then be emailed to parents within 3 days